Wednesday, September 24, 2008

History Of Namma Veedu Montessori School-4

TOUGH TIMES OF 2003
June 2nd – 2003 was the reopening day for us. We got into the school as if the beginners come to a school for the very first day. The day was very important for us because the Indian Institute Of Montessori Training – Bangalore got shifted to Madras –ABACUS School.
I admire my teacher Dr. Gupthaji and his wife who have arrived a week before to commence the course. Our school became another centre for training the adults. The parents and other teachers who were not involved in the course were so excited to see a large group of ABACUS staff who were ready for the training. Many of us gossiped about the various stress, money matters and training program.
ABACUS office became the class room:
The school timing got shifted. Senior teachers were given more responsibilities. We have to work from 8.30 am till 12.pm. After a short lunch we have to assemble in our office hall for the course. The office hall was arranged with many chairs and table for the trainers. Some of our friends reserved the last rows.
The training session started after a prayer. First 2 solid hours were dedicated to psychology and EPL. After a short break, we sat for subjects and by 4.pm we left to our primary section classes for the practical sessions.
Our children very often came to the entrance and peeped into the hall and looked at us. They laugh at us and often enjoyed our ‘’ students appearance’’. Poor children do not know that every day we are their children learning lot from them.
Every week 2 trainers came to Madras from Bangalore. I admire Ms.Gupthaji for her patience in listening to her husband’s long sessions. Every day our regular assignments were checked and we were unable to do because of schools work and other things. But Dr.Gupthaji gave us the flexible time to submit them. Ms.Amukthaji corrected them and wrote excellent comments and open frank remarks about our errors. We laughed, felt bad and corrected like our students. Every week end our pending files were listed out and put on the soft board. Our children saw them and made fun in class.
The only man of the class:
ABACUS teachers and outsiders attended this course. Many outsiders were excited to listen from us about the class room experience and training. It is true that we got that exposure in our school to exercise immediately the various aspects of Montessori education after the training every day.
There were house wives, mothers of challenged children, teachers from other schools, abroad students, school owners who attended the training. I was the only man in the session. I was given very special attention.
The uncontrollable sleep:
But for the first few days I could not control the sleep when we sat after the lunch. I was called and remarked about it. Many of us just behaved like college students. My present principal and good friend and guide Ms. Vaijayanthy Baskar very often passed her jokes and made us to get the spirit.
Atom bomb from the University:
We were always interested in sitting at back rows. I was very much stressed because of my mother’s health, research work in the pc got vanished and school work was heavy. I just planned to submit my thesis next year. But suddenly my great tutor and guide Dr. Eshwaran rang up and scolded that I have to submit the thesis within 10 days.
How to be humble?
My blood pressure got increased and I met Ms. Zai Whittakar [ a very humble principal who taught me how to handle many tough timings and made me stress free from school work]. She spoke to the director and Ms. Amukthaji allowed me to leave the school after the psychology and EPL sessions.
I just thank them. Their matured level of understanding the people has made many to change a lot. The title “Dr” before me is because of Dr.Pradheepkumar and these people.
I sat with Students Xerox Company for typing all the chapters of my thesis. Ms. Sengamalam made a good looking thesis and with in 3 days she typed every thing. I was rushing up with my proof reading and binding. Every day I slept around 2 am.
The school was moving towards end of second term and exams were nearing. Corrections, course assignments and thesis work stressed my life. My prayers gave me the spirit.
The cyclonic day:
It was October 28th, Madras city was expected to get struck with cyclonic storms and it was heavily raining. I got my 9 copies of thesis. I took them to Kanchipuram and Sreeperumbadhoor shrines for God’s blessings.
The rain was pouring. On October 29th, Mr. Rajendran [ from Sendurai family] helped me to take all the thesis to Thiruchy and I left to submit the thesis with all blessings and cheering ups from my family and staff. Dr.Gupthaji blessed me for the success.
On October 30th, my guide saw the thesis and blessed me and I left to Bharathy dasan University and submitted my thesis before the Controller Of Examiner. Haa!!!......thank God!!!
I came back without thinking about the thesis and its results to Madras. Again I joined with my group and rushed up with my practical classes. There were several assignments in pending and I was given time for completion. We have completed half of the course and moving towards the end. We just relaxed during December holidays and came back on January 2nd – 2004.
The natural change:
In this time my mind started understanding the essence of the course. I was able to realize the need for a Montessori adult to be trained. Every day the course has shaped me. But Math sessions were very hard for most of us. I enjoyed the psychology, Sensorial and EPL sessions of Dr.Gupthaji and Ms. Radha Nagarajanji. Today she is one of the great experienced trainers in Sensorial concept teaching in this world.
Many other trainers came and trained us. We enjoyed the snacks brought by others; we shared jokes, files, materials, experiences and plans. Many said that they will start a school. I was also commented that I will begin a school. I just laughed.
But there was natural change in my attitude towards children, adults, family, teaching and it was observed by others. I got confirmed by ABACUS with a letter of appreciation in understanding Montessori philosophy and implementing that in school teaching.
God has already planned for some thing in future!

No comments: