Thursday, September 25, 2008

History Of Namma Veedu Montessori School-12

IMPORTANT EVENTS OF MARCH 2008
1.2.2008: We have offered the very first new dress to the little poor boy Saravanan. After studying his family situation we have decided to adopt him as our child.
He will be given special snacks for improving his weight and deficiency of malnutrition. So we have given good cashew nuts to the school. Twice in a week he will be given this. Slowly we are planning to give a badam and an egg per week.
His 2 brothers were also gifted with good dresses.
2.2.2008: 5 more children have joined in our school.
1. Sujeesh – 2.25 years. He has booked his seat for June now itself.
2. Nidarshana – 1.5 years from Bombay have temporarily got admitted in our school.
3. Mohanapriya – 3 years have joined.
4. Goutham – 1.9 months old child have joined along with his mother. She is Ms.Laxmi who will be our temporary helper.
5. Ravikumar – 2years old, Saravanan’s younger brother has joined with us.
6. Chandru – 7 years old, Saravanan’s elder brother has joined for week end programme.
STUDENTS WHO ARE IN NAMMA VEEDU:
1. Reema
2. Keerthana
3. Rajashree
4. Mohanapriya
5. Nidarshana - left
6. Saravanan
7. Ravikumar
8. Chandru
9. Sujee
10. Logeshwaran
11. Balamithran [part time]
12. Chandru [part time ]
13. Goutham - left
14. Vrindha sarathy - left
15. Sugeesh - left

• The last 3 children may continue.
3.3.2008: Ms.Poornima Mani from USA has visited our school today.
7.3.08: We had the nature walk to the local pond which is slowly drying and also to the dried river. The children were excited about the walk. On the way they got into the big pit and experienced the concept of high – low and also what is under the Earth. Elder children saw the roots protruding inside the soil and they learned the concept of ‘’deep rooting’’. They have collected many roots along with the soil.
They enjoyed the bird watching session near the pond. They were unable to digest that the pond is getting dried slowly, because few weeks back they have observed the same pond with water.
Morning they did shell sorting activity and they got the chance to collect many tiny shells with weeds too. Some saw the frogs also. They were able to relate the need of water for all after seeing a goat, bull, crow and their water bottle with water.
On the way they saw many tribes harvesting tamarind fruits. Children got their permission and took only one for each. They went and settled on a big rock in the mid of the river. They felt sad also for no water. They observed few tiny fishes. Elder children questioned where they will go after the river gets completely dried?
We had the snack session. Lokeshwaran a child who is in need of complete confidence and love was asked to serve the apple. They learned to wash the fruit and observed the cutting activity.
The great attention seeker: Our child Saravanan was so quiet and calm while we were walking and he was enjoying my hugs and pampering. He likes my childish talks to him. Teachers said that after my last week arrival, he has settled more and opened himself from his shell of fear and distrust. He is doing more activities along with his younger brother. His elder brother is also exploring and making use of the week ends in our school very well. He likes to see Madras and beach.
After our trip to pond we came back. I gave food to Saravanan and he has started sleeping. Many children slept well because of the tiredness and got up and played then left home. Saravanan’s mother said that he was rushing to school from early morning to see me. The love, affection, care, trust and food have made him bright and chubby looking.
Today one more new helper Ms.Jothylaxmi has joined with us. She is good in her work and lovable to children. Let her continue for ever.
8.3.08: Today we took an auto towards a remote place 2 KM away from Sendurai called ‘’ Vanji yuthu’’. The auto trip was very short but created many excitement within the children. Saravanan was with me. Logeshwaran was also with me seeking for my love and care openly.
From the local hospital we started walking deep into the woods to see and canvas a tribal community who survive by wood cutting and honey harvesting. The look of the women was pathetic. Many were wearing very worst cloths. Children were almost naked and just simply playing. They were looking dirty, dusty but with deep love and respect.
We spoke about our school and showed our children and spoke about their development. They have assured to send their children to our school.
Then 2 local tribal boys Thirupathy and Mookandi guided us towards the Vanjiyuthu spring. On the way we had many learning as follows:
• Children saw a very big spider web.
• Children saw various leaf patterns.
• Children learned to share slippers.
• Younger ones were also made to walk.
• We learned the strength of many children.
• Saravanan started showing his naughtiness.
• He was left alone when he refused to share his slippers to his brother and he spoke a bad word.
• Very often he cried and screamed to seek my attention so that I will carry him.
• But he walked well and I too carried him and cared him.
• He wanted me to hug, lift and play and I did all to him.
• His spoken language is very slang and we need to change that.
• His nose is filled with continuous mucus and cold and very often I was cleaning the nose and he was shouting for that.
• In the spring we saw many tiny creatures and plants.
• We saw deep calm woods on mountains.
• We saw the tribal women with goats and cows.
• Logeshwaran cared the snack time. The 2 tribal boys were thanked and treated as our guests.

After our walk we went into a village called Palanipatty and canvassed for admission. Then we came back and had lunch. Many children went fat as sleep. Later we presented decanomail square to Saravanan, Chandru and Logeshwaran. Then they were playing with toys.
I had brief meeting with the teachers and left Sendurai with light and heavy heart. I wish the rest 5 days to go soon.

15.3.08: We have appointed Miss.Renuka a +2 school passed girl in our school to assist the teachers and to get trained slowly. But she will be appointed only till June first. She is very quiet and calm and she is lovable to all kids. She needs to come out of the shyness and mix with the environment soon.
The same day we met Saravanan’s parents regarding the scholarship. We have directed them to produce the letter based on our format.
Saravanan got adorned with 2 different dresses and he left for local festival. The child was very particular in inviting me as their guest in the vehicle. He brought the sacred prasdham and pongal sweet.
The children learned to use umbrella and stood in rain. They observed the nature while it was raining.
16.3.08: Today Saravanan was very noisy and screaming to attain my love and warm hugs. So I was unable to give lessons to Chandru and Bala. Then Kalaivani took him away. Then after some time he settled down and we had many other presentation and also fun. Today many kids climbed on me and had fun. I made them to dance by standing in one leg and taught many games. We did English imitation programme with few kids. Saravana’s younger brother Ravi was staying for long time. Very often he has to be feeded and took long sleeping sessions. He is just 1.5 years old. His mother said that she was very happy and peaceful in sending her kids to the school and leaving for job. Saravanan had a very long sleep. By 3 5 P.M, it was raining we need to leave; I just took him from the bed and he started screaming and we changed his old dress and put one lollypop and said good bye. I was heavy hearted to get separated from these kids. May Amma give one more chance to visit them next week.
The doll presented to kids has made deep emotional impact and they are caring for it as a baby.
This week Pranav has send lollypops and children have enjoyed. I gave the story of Gananasambandhar. During lunch Saravanan was eating and eating and he showed that he likes very good food. Soon I pray that Usha amma must leave to Sendurai especially for Saravanan. I want to adapt an orphan child for our school.

21.3.08: GOOD FRIDAY.
I was very eager to see the children after 4 solid days. It was heavily raining. I have opened the doors and started the work. Slowly all teachers came and as usual Saravanan has to be tamed. After the prayer the group was presented with the story of orphan child and Krishna story. I showed them the laminated photo of Sree Guruvaayoorappan’s child form and children explored the photo. Every body called Saravanan as ‘’nandha lala’’. Then he has started working well. Today I was able to observe the real settlement from the children with all materials. Teachers were just behind their work observing them.
The accident: When I saw the windows of the reading room got opened I want to close because they were infected with termites. But suddenly one window just fell on my forehead and started bleeding heavily. I thank that non of the children were affected. Immediately Mani’s parents arrived when Kalaivani ran and gave the message. Bodhini applied turmeric powder and father took me to the local doctor. Luckily it was a small accident. We just removed all the other infected windows.
Children were affected with fear after seeing the accident. I was much worried because I could not feed them at lunch time. Than that my mother has send ghee to mal nutrition kids for the very first time.
THE SACREDMOST TOUCH……..
I asked the teachers to put spoon full of ghee to Saravanan and feed him. He was just staring at my head and looking scared. After my medication I came to the school and took Saravanan and he started crying and released his fear and also touched my head and asked was it pain full. God has cured my pain!
Then the day proceeded with many work and afternoon play time with dolls and toys. The teachers gave the presentation of ‘’Christ and his service to earth’’. We showed the real photo of Mother Mary with infant Christ in Velankanni. We tried to relate the feeling of mother in all religions. Few alterations were done in EPL hall. Show case was decorated with some toys and dolls. Children were able to adjust with one another and no clash was going between them regarding the toys. We have sent the kids soon. Elder children were given remedial work in language and Math subjects. It was raining heavily…………..
23.3.08: Today it was raining heavily and I came and waited before the school gate to get opened. It was morning 9, no teacher has arrived. Then Bodhini came with key and we opened the school. Immediately Saravanan’s elder brother Chandru came to school.
Today we have prepared Chappathy and potato as Pranav wished to offer to these children. Teachers came late and Kalaivani has not yet come and no information was send too. Then I explained the need of opening the school on all days except on some unavoidable situations. I said that even one child is coming we need to open the school for him. The regularity in sending the child, leave taking and other things were discussed. Two teachers came very late because of rain and I explained how I go promptly to ABACUS even during cyclone days. Any thing cannot be taking it for granted. I do not want this school to be a centre to relax for a child and for an adult. It is a temple and learning centre and than that the ‘’home for all little ones who need calm, love and peace of mind away from home’’.
The true love never gets regretted:
Slowly by 10 A.M, other children also came and we were running the environment. We had the grand warm lunch with Chappthy and potato dish.
Balamithran also wanted to be spoon feeded by me with a story. Balachander also came and sat near to me. Saravanan was on my laps. I fed them with ghee, nuts an dates and lunch was so grand. We thanked Pranav and Mani’s mother for offering this. Children relished the food. Saravanan ate only rice with more ghee.
Lessons according to the weather:
The rain was heavy and we gave the story of Krishna lifting the Govardhanagiri to protect all cowherds from heavy rain by connecting Sendurai’s geography and weather. Some children showed Panduranga’s idol and asked whether he lifted the hill and protected the people. We gave the lesson of ‘’ rain and water’’.
23.3.08: By morning 7 A.M, I got an intuition to rush up to the school. I took a small soon bath and rushed up to the school with few flowers and keys.
Near the gate I saw the 3 brothers…. Chandrakumar _ Saravanan and Ravikumar waiting for my arrival. When Saravanan saw me he started crying and he asked me to lift him and I obeyed. When we opened the doors the boy said it is gate and I gave the lesson of a door and gate.
The 3 brothers took the transport toys and started playing. Saravanan was so happy and he did not cry at all. Slowly teachers came and we started the school. Today we had full attendance.
Chandrakumar narrated the story of Krishna lifting the mountain to save his people from rain and we gave the painting of that scene also.
* We saw Reema playing with the 2 baby dolls and giving her hidden motherliness.
* Few kids refused to sleep and worked.
* Saravanan showed his crying attitude to me and Bodhini in a toy case and we taught him the lesson of ‘’ no crying attitude’’.
* Children saw a parrot chick and observed the bird behavior.
* Later we had a walk to our farm and land. Kalaivani gave the lesson about sunflowers.
* Then we all sat on piles of logs and sang the songs.

We met Suji’s, Balachander’s mothers regarding their fees and scholarship.
I felt very happy that Saravanan has believed us and started showing his compassion to me and wanted me to care him more.
The teachers in the school need to equip their English knowledge and spoken skills. This evening I have rendered my thanks and prayers to Dindukal Maariamman and offered the first offering of the school Rs.150. I have also purchased 2 baby dolls and I basket ball set for the school and left to Madras.
29.3.08: Today we had the first video show – THE RAMAYAN CARTOON through lap top computer. Children were excited to see the lap top computer. Few wanted to touch the set also. Many children kept focused on the film and few younger ones left to work with EPL activities.
Children were introduced with Ram, Seetha and Laxman. They were more furious when Ravana took away Seetha. Saravanan’s mother was also there to enjoy the show. By 10.30, we chanted the slokas and cut the pure rum cake and relished.
Many kids wanted the second share also. Saravanan had 5 pieces of rum cake. Then we all went out side to our land to do the presentation of spikes and leaves. Before that we all stood in row for the very first time and saw the height order.
Then we set out our journey. We found the fresh anthill near our land within a week. Kalaivani and Bodhini gave the lesson of various houses. Then we had the observation of a cactus spikes and children were made to feel the sharp edge.
Then we moved to our land and did few warming up exercises. Then slowly we did the verb game. Then we went to a near by pit and observed the red soil and jumped into the pit. Children saw the nearby fence with many butterflies and few plucked the flowers and started smelling the fragrance.
Then we did the exercise of ‘’walking on a straight line’’. One of the one foot path naturally created became our line and many were able to do the walking properly.
The greatest chance:
The 1.5 years old boy Ravikumar, showed the various spikes across the path and related to the previous presentation. We have admired the absorption mind of the child. This child has started talking clearly in this week after a month work in the environment. He has started settling soon also.
The greatest proof:
After our walk I saw Saravanan sneezing with good hand gesture. He has learned how to use his right hand to sneeze. This is the proof for the teachers work in the school.
The poor boy who do not know the language to express himself:
Saravanan got up at 6 A.M and asked his mother to make him ready for the school because he was expecting me. But when I came he cried and screamed. Teachers said that he is very different in my absence. This is the symptom for attention seeking child.
We felt that he needs my hugs and passions but he cant express it. When I went to change his dirty orange shirt he cried and shouted because he could not express that he likes that color. Then I cleared his mind and just left him. The boy was so calm and did not participated in any activity and he was just enjoying the love and affection given by me. His younger brother and Logeshwaran were offered with a good looking dress.
The box of anxiety:
By noon I gave food to all these kids with a long story. Saravanan ate more and added more ghee. Teachers felt jealous of him and we all laughed. Then we all opened the elephant material wooden box and children handled the elephants very carefully and started exploring the animal. They felt bad for a broken elephant and thanked Mr.Jayaprakash. Then we made them to sleep and few were working. Teachers wrote the observations. Miss.Renuka will be leaving the school after her 9 days work because of her nursing studies. May god bless her!
The first issue: A parent is making simple issues based on the comparison of children, caste and work. The parent has cultivated all the unwanted behavior within the child and the teachers are struggling to treat the child in good way. How ever we treat the child, it is the parents’ duty to take the child in right path. We just kept silent and observed the parent behavior. I have told the teachers that no one can insult or disrespect. It is the human right to treat each other equally.
30.3.08 Awareness never fails:
The boy was admitted at the age of 3. But I never believed that. I saw him as an underdeveloped growth to his age. Slowly many symptoms were observed by us. He is suffering from sever ‘’ attention syndrome and mental illness, because his mother leaves him by 6 a.m to work. His love has been taken away by his younger brother who is 1.5 years old.
But my awareness was more concerned with his pregency. His head is little large and he showed many symptoms like often getting mentally detattached from us, no language development and some times very high level of noise and shouting with cry.
Teachers said that he is behaving very babyish in my presence. He needs my warmthness but he can’t express any thing. He is just a doll in our hands. But his weight has increased after a month because of our care with special food, his rice smells badly.
I was waiting for more facts about the child. When ever I go first he enters with big shouting and cry then he expects me to take and hug and put on my laps to give mother’s touch, then he will be always with me and do his work. But he talks rarely. His growth and 1.5 year brother’s growth are the same. In these 10 days his brother has started talking fastly but he could not.
On 30th March we have asked his mother to come to discuss about the elder son’s education. While talking I just asked,’’ How was your second son’s pregnancy?’’
Immediately the poor lady started crying and narrated as follows,
‘’ When I got this kid in my pregnancy, mu husband treated me very rudely and every day troubled me after drinking. So every day was a fear because of my father – in – law and husband. One night I just took a secret rail to my mom’s place in Bangalore. There my poor mother cared me and every day I waited to eat a lot.
By 7.5 months suddenly this child got delivered in the home and he was just my palm’s size. My in laws and husband just left me for delivering this kid. My mother sold her lands and put him in a private hospital and for 3 months we cared him.
So he is special child. Later within a year I delivered the last one.
He has never taken even a drop of mother’s milk. So often he becomes ill….’’
Yes! All our doubts about the child got clarified. Yes this boy is not 3 years he is just 2.5 years. He is an immature child with traces of multiple syndromes especially Autism now. His pregnancy was very sorrowful because of fear and malnutrition. But God has showed him the school at right time and he is improving day by day physically.
Today he is showing few traces of autism and we are in need to care him with true dedication. He just needs our true love and care. Apart from that he is doing all Montessori activities, especially speech therapy.
Very recently we have observed him with urinary problems also. Today we want him get a complete scan and checked for normal internal organs. So we need help from our friends to help this boy. It costs RS.5000 for complete checkup and scanning.
So a child has a hidden child which will be brought out by nature. We feel empathy for the child and we want just to improve his personality and knowledge and to become normal. May God help us to care and treat more Saravanans in Namma Veedu Montessori House of Children’’.

No comments: